Each and every day, around 15,000 employees in the Valora network work to brighten up their customers' day with a comprehensive convenience and food offering – nearby, quick, convenient and fresh. More than 2,700 small-scale stores are located at highly frequented locations in Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Luxembourg and the Netherlands. The company recruits committed entrepreneurs to manage its outlets, builds on strong own brands and benefits from a vertically integrated value chain as one.
Shape the future with us and brighten up someone’s journey as:
Software Engineer Fullstack
Software Engineering for you is more about a clean codebase, paradigms, and algorithms rather than languages, frameworks, or platforms. You may have chosen your favorite tech stack, but you are always curious to learn new things.
Building a culture of support, respect, and inclusion is very important to us. You like to collaborate with other team members, you are open and share your experience and learn from others.
Key tasks and responsibilities
- Work on new and existing systems across a wide range of projects using modern technologies like F#/C#/TypeScript and various others. (e.g. a clean and elegant API layer spanning across all of our legacy systems, backend APIs consumed by our web and mobile apps, production tooling for our machine learning models, etc.)
- Evaluate new approaches and solutions to a wide variety of problems
- Improve and maintain our production environment, for example by adding monitoring and alerting (DevOps)
- Help set up and maintain modern development workflows as well as CI/CD pipelines
- Work closely together with our mobile app and data science teams
- Support other developers in your team
Key skills / requirements
- 2+ years of software development experience in a general-purpose programming language
- BSc degree in Computer Science, similar technical field of study or equivalent practical experience
- Ability to quickly get up to speed in any programming language or system if needed
- Ability to tackle problems outside your comfort zone and get things done without supervision
- You are independent, but value and expect honest feedback
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills in English
Bonus points for:
- Experience or strong interest in working with F# (or similar functional programming languages like Elm, Haskell, OCaml etc)
- Experience working with other general-purpose programming languages (C#, TypeScript, etc.)
- Experience working with one or more of the following: web application development, Unix/Linux environments, distributed and parallel systems, service-oriented architectures, REST APIs, developing large software systems.
- Experience working in teams following an agile software development methodology
- Basic knowledge of German
What we offer
- Choose your own hardware and development tools
- Competitive salary
- Free coffee/tea/snacks in the office
- Work remotely whenever you like to
- Learn and use functional programming on a day-to-day basis
- Grow and help others grow: participate in our regular dojos where we learn about diverse methodologies and technologies
- Opportunities to drive new ideas around product direction beyond tech